Coronation Street soon-to-be defunct set refused listed status
Coronation Street set refused listed status
Also In The News
Friends of Myleene Klass are reportedly concerned for the TV star's health after her husband Graham Quinn suddenly walked out.
Tuesday, 12, Jun 2012 09:56
By Mark Fordham
An application to give listed status to the Coronation Street set, which would help safeguard its future when it is vacated by the soap, has been refused by authorities.
The TV show is due to move from its current home in central Manchester to a new site in Trafford next spring and it had been hoped the old set would be saved.
English Heritage said the set was not historic enough to be listed, despite being used by the soap since 1982. Listing would easily be able to restrict how it could be altered.
English Heritage's Nick Bridgland said an alternative option would be for the set to be passed on to someone who will care for it and allow people to visit and enjoy it.
An ITV spokesperson commented: "ITV continues to consider the future use of the Coronation Street set ahead of our planned move to MediaCity."